Organizational Description & Position Overview
Strategies to End Homelessness (STEH) is a nationally-recognized leader of a coordinated community effort to end homelessness in Greater Cincinnati. Since 2007, STEH has led a comprehensive system of care to prevent and eventually end homelessness in Cincinnati/Hamilton County. Working in partnership with 30 non-profit organizations, STEH coordinates a centralized emergency shelter hotline, homelessness prevention, street outreach, emergency shelter and housing solutions with the goal of ending homelessness.
STEH is hiring a full-time Communications Director. The Communications Director will report directly to the President and CEO, and manage a full-time communications coordinator. Additionally, the Communications Director will support the Communications Committee of the Board of Directors, coordinating all efforts with the Committee Chair.
This position is responsible for aiding in the planning, development and implementation of all of STEH’s communications activities, including but not limited to: corporate communications, community and stakeholder relations, public relations, media relations, online communications, organizational presentations and all other appropriate and related functions with respect to expanding and diversifying the funding base of the organization and elevating awareness of its services.
Essential Job Functions
The professional in this position is responsible for the creation, implementation, sustainment and measurement of a comprehensive communications program designed to enhance STEH’s image and working relationships with the public, its key stakeholders, community and corporate partners and media representatives to support the achievement of STEH’s mission.
The position’s responsibilities include, but are not necessarily limited to:
- Maintain consistent and sustained articulation of STEH’s image and role within its areas of focus.
- Develop, support and maintain methods and opportunities to seek and receive regular input from STEH’s key stakeholders regarding the work of the organization.
- Produce and distribute all offline and online communications, including Board of Director reports and presentations, proposals and presentations for funding requests.
- Use relationships with local, regional, and national media outlets to generate awareness through stories of the work STEH and its partner organizations are doing in Cincinnati, in order to foster goodwill, increase donor funding, show appreciation of funders, increase awareness of homelessness in general, and the coordinated effort to end it.
- Write and distribute press releases about STEH efforts, grants received, and other activity directed by STEH.
- Pitch story ideas to local, regional, and national media about STEH efforts (and partner organizations)
- Respond to media questions when asked.
- Write and distribute monthly “progress reports” and respond to all media calls/emails generated from report.
- Manage media tracking service.
- Use social media channels to amplify the stories told in the media, or to tell stories when the media won’t.
- Develop and implement digital and social media marketing strategy.
- Use the World Wide Web to deliver up-to-date information to STEH audiences, streamline communication efforts, manage databases, and direct inquiries to appropriate parties. Website audiences include media, stakeholders, members of the community, funders, and potential funders.
- Develop relationships and build value with local and national funders to secure philanthropic grants for systemic initiatives and ongoing projects.
- Stay current on local foundations, deadlines, and application processes.
- Write, submit and follow up on grant applications to secure funding for systemic initiatives and ongoing projects.
- Recognizing that stakeholders armed with accurate information are better able to help tell the STEH story, organize and accept speaking engagements when possible, organize community input sessions when necessary, and communicate regularly about STEH activity that may affect stakeholders.
- Produce fundraising events as necessary.
- Organize and support regular community input sessions as needed / consider standing committees outside of the board committees to help plan fundraising events and engage local YPs and other groups.
- Actively seek speaking engagements and determine who should speak – prepare updated presentations.
- Write and distribute special STEH Board communication and partner organization communication as needed.
- Promote events and activities that occur within STEH’s target areas for the purpose of enhancing positive public perception of STEH and its ongoing work in preventing, assisting and solving Cincinnati’s homelessness.
Knowledge, Skills, & Experience
- Demonstrated skills in the implementation of communications and community relations programs and activities.
- Demonstrated ability to gain a strong working knowledge of STEH’s mission and ongoing development activities and to effectively articulate such activities in a verbal and written form.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Desire to work with the media, including writing press releases, and writing and issuing public statements.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office (including Word, Powerpoint, Excel, Adobe Creative Suite, and other related software programs).
- 5-10 years of demonstrated experience in communications, media relations, and fundraising or sales.
- 3-5 years supervisory experience.
- Ability to proactively manage multiple tasks, prioritize work and meet tight deadlines.
Education & Certification
- Bachelors Degree (or equivalent) from an accredited college or university in marketing, communications, journalism, public relations, or some related program degree is preferred.
- The person in this position will travel locally at least biweekly and will need reliable transportation.
- Health, dental, and disability insurance.
- Paid time off including holidays and vacation.
- Savings plan with company match.
Strategies to End Homelessness, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.
Interested and qualified candidates should send cover letter & resume to: email@example.com.